WA-Net, the West Africa Network for capacity building in integrated water resources management (hereinafter referred to as “the Network”) is a regional network of capacity building institutions in West Africa (hereinafter referred to as “the Region”) involved in education and/or training and/or research in integrated water resources management.
The Network’s acronym shall be “WA-Net”.
The Network emerged from the growing recognition that capacity gaps emerging from the implementation of IWRM can be filled if capacity building institutions in the region pull together the limited resources they have by forming partnerships in education, training and research.
The Network is a non-profit making membership organisation with its coverage area in West Africa.
Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Togo.
- Identify and establish linkages between relevant capacity building institutions in the Region to conduct joint programmes in training, education and research.
- Facilitate the organisation of national orientation workshops on the relevance of partnership and networking for capacity building in IWRM
- Conduct survey on the status of IWRM in the Region and assess training needs and demand of the water sector
- Organise programmes for the training of trainers and water sector professionals in the Region
- Facilitate the restructuring and/or development of curricular in the Region to incorporate IWRM
- Facilitate the development and distribution of IWRM training materials
- Develop relevant proposals and approach donors for support
WA-Net shall be a Network with its members drawn from capacity building institutions based in the Region and engaged directly in training and/or education and/or research in various fields relevant to Integrated Water Resources Management. They shall be referred as “Member(s)”. Membership shall be on an equal and individual basis. Membership shall be free of charge.
Supporting Partners of the Network shall include institutions and organisations that are based outside the Region and are involved in activities in the Region relevant to Integrated Water Resources Management. Supporting Partners shall also include organisations based in the region that are active in delivering capacity building services relevant to IWRM other than training, education and research.